Monday 27 February 2012

20. Ideas for my magazine

After considering different styles for my magazine, and realising that I need a design style that appeals to a wide market, I have decided upon a vintage style. This will include design features such as polaroid images in either black and white or sepia colours, with a vintage feel to it. This will widen my target audience, as people may feel a sense of nostalgia and familiarity when looking at the 'old-fashioned' images, and if the content is less narrowcast this should also help to reduce the 'niche' stereotype.


With this idea in mind, I searched for images within my genre which would follow this - 

All of these images present very similar ideas; a relaxed, contented style which suggests that past times were better than modern times. 
After considering this angle for my music magazine, I decided to analyse various album covers within the genre of Indie, which would allow me to gain an insight into what to include within the magazine, as well as potentially gather ideas for my own photos which will be featured on the cover as well as in the articles inside. 


 Each of these album covers conform to the general stereotypes of what would be expected of Indie music and artists; they include cool, calm colours (mostly brown, yellow and black) which also have a natural feel, obscure images which relate to the 'individuality' of the artists and fans, and a relaxed art style which presents the idea of 'doodling', as people do when they are relaxed.








Personally, my favourite of these album covers is 'The Shins' as the image suggests another world - this may connote that their music can be an escape form the stresses of this world, into a more uplifting a cheery place.

No comments:

Post a Comment